Sunday, November 13, 2011

Turkey Pancakes

I have been admiring Jenni's pancake art for a while now and keep saying I am going to have to give it a try some day... and I finally did.  :)


And I have to admit, I don't think they turned out half bad!  Though there was definitely some trial and error along the way.... First the pancake mix I picked up was not exactly what I intended to get.  I intended to get plain every day pancake mix, just add water.  I ended up with some whole grain wheat, add milk and an egg (which I didn't have because while I was at the store Kevin was visiting Uncle Randy and the last two times he has been over there he has come home with fresh eggs from Randy's chickens.  So I specifically put the eggs I had picked up at the store back.  So I had to run to the store.)  And then the "whole grain" part stopped up the bottle instantly.  I cut the tip off the bottle to make it a bit bigger to see if I could get it to work that way and just succeeded in making a mess.  After a few minutes I came to my senses and opted to toss the whole batch as it was unlikely that I would ever get it to work, and I sincerely doubted the boys would be thrilled to find "seeds!" in their pancakes.  So I scoured the pantry and grabbed the only other choice that didn't require a return trip to the store - an all purpose baking mix. 

After locating my bottles, and whipping up the batter I started looking for food coloring.  I had bought some recently, but couldn't find it for the life of me.  So single color pancakes it was (in theory..).

Unlike Jenni's carefully planned out pancakes, which often include cute sketches, I hadn't thought about what I was going to do at all until I started "drawing on the pan" - improvising on the fly.  Or at least the best I could given every second or two the bottle was jammed once again (note to self: forget hand whisking - pull out the mixer next time - NO LUMPS!!)  So I drew the outlines and then fired up both burners on my stove to start them cooking.

And when the outside puffed out and started bubbling I quickly filled in the outlines and then watched them cook.  At this point I was fairly certain that it would be a miracle if they came out resembling anything like the turkeys I had envisioned...




After having taken a couple of pictures, and deciding that based on the amount of bubbling they must be done, I flipped them over.



And discovered just how unevenly my two burner griddle pan works... None the less I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the blobs I had created did actually resemble a turkey. 


Though I realized as I began assembling that I had completely forgotten feet.  And the little hangy thing-a-majig.



So I headed back to the griddle to make some.

I had also planned to add a piece of candy for an eye, but I was so ecstatic with the results thus far that I totally forgot and called everyone in the house to COME.AND.ADMIRE.NOW!  :)

At which time the boys proceeded to disassemble and devour them.


"Can I eat it now???"

 
Needless to say I will be making art pancakes again.  Maybe a snowman or reindeer for a special Christmas breakfast??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...