Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In search of a cache

When I looked up geocaches in our area I found one in our neighborhood in a place we drive by every single day. So one day on the way home with the boys I stopped by the park, pulled out our GPS and started to search.

Following the GPS to the specified coordinates we ended up between an island flower bed and a forested area. The boys were surprisingly cooperative holding my hand or staying close by while I looked all around. After two or three trips around the area where I was sure it had to located with no luck I decided that I would have to try again another day and took the kids to the park to play.

When the weekend rolled around we were headed to the nearby pool and I decided to look around again for a few minutes. At one point Connor took off towards the edge of the lake and chasing after him I ended up slipping in some mud in an impressive stepped on a banana like move a stuntman would have been impressed with. I had clay like mud from elbow to toe. I can only imagine what I sight I must have been. I managed to get down to the water and wash enough of it off to look semi-presentable. Or at least presentable enough to make it past the attendant at the pool gate where I could clean up in the bathroom.

Determined to find it I made another pass a few days later. The army of neighborhood gardeners had been busy putting out new pine mulch so I picked up a stick to probe the area. I saw a big pile of turned up mulch, but came up empty. Looking around again I found it almost immediately. Grinning ear to ear I raced back to the park to share my find with Kevin and the boys. I couldn't have been more thrilled. Unprepared to actually find it I had to go all the way back to the car to retrieve a pen to sign the log. I spent a few minutes looking through the previous visitor's entries amazed at the number of people who had been there before me and wondering if I had maybe seen them as I had driven past at one time or another and never been the wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...